Wednesday, May 20, 2009

3 Years Down, 1 to Go

The semester ended, and I must say that I think all of my  hard work paid off in the end. I look back at the past five months and realize I've probably accomplished more with my photography than ever before. I got my first paying gig, photographing Story Week for Columbia College Chicago's Fiction Writing Department. I photographed three musicians, including the band Netherfriends. I was exhibited in my first non Columbia related show. And my project Boystown, for all the trouble I had with it, turned out better than I expected it would. 

This is from the Something About Nothing exhibition at the Wayne & Geraldine Kuhn Fine Arts Gallery. My piece, The Trash, is hung at the bottom right corner. I couldn't make it to the show because of time/money constraints, but the curator took photos of it. I was thoroughly impressed with how it turned out,  and honored to be a part of it.


When Shawn Rosenblatt of Netherfriends approached me about taking new promotional pictures of the band I was more than happy to jump at the opportunity. The psychodelic pop Chicago-based band has played with bands like Maps & Atlases and Pattern is Movement. They recently signed to Emergency Umbrella record label and have caught the eye of some major music magazines. I've been a huge fan for some time now, so I'm excited to see where they will go from here. Make sure to check them out and have a look at their promotional pictures to see my photographs.

Lastly, here a few more images from Boystown. I made a book of about 30 images as the final presentation. I'm currently updating my website (although I'm having some technical difficulties) to include this project.







As happy as I am with the results of the past couple of months, I'm glad the semester is finally over. Now I can utilize my free time to just have fun with photography and brush up on my technical skills. I've decided to invest in a cheap 4X5 camera. I feel it's about time I shoot film again, especially large format. I'm hoping to get a camera ASAP so I can spend the summer shooting portraits and exploring the new neighborhood. Oh yeah, I'm moving to Andersonville here in Chicago in two weeks. I'm incredibly excited about the neighborhood, the apartment, and the fact that I'll be living with my girlfriend. All of these should benefit my photography and I want to explore all of them in the coming months.

This fall I'm taking Dawoud Bey's class The Portrait, although it will instead be taught by Kelli Connell. I'm really excited to have her has my teacher because her current project is probably my favorite of any working photographer right now. Definitely check out her photographs. They are inspirational.

No comments: